Friday, October 3, 2008

A Soul Desperately Thirsting For God.

Over the years I have pondered and wondered why we were not seeing God do more in the lives of believers. Jesus tells us, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these.” John 14: 12

When I read my Bible I see Jesus raising the dead, healing the sick, and casting out demons. He changed the lives of people. I believe we are doing some of these things, but not greater things like He suggested. Why not? What is the problem? Are we too busy to get to know God as He desires? Are we satisfied with quick devotions, fast prayers, and speedy sermons?

In the e-newsletter I send out monthly I have a section called PTO (Personal Time Out) in which various ways of spending time with God are discussed. So I am going to suggest during your time of seeking God you find a place that is all your own...away from activity, so you can totally focus on getting to know God.

Find a special place that is relaxing and quiet; a place that is your refuge, your sanctuary, your safe haven, or retreat. In my house my "retreat" is a comfy chair, pink cushiony lap blanket, oversized pillow, a small table, and a lamp that reflects me. Everyone in my house knows it is mine.

Have you found your place yet? If you need a cup of tea, coffee, or soft drink get it and let’s start our journey into the unknown; a place where few have dared to travel.

Let’s begin with Psalm 42:1-2,
“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?”

Are we really thirsty for God?

Does our soul ache for Him?

I began my soul aching and thirst for God when I was a teenager in the 70’s. I couldn’t get enough of God’s word. I wanted to be in church whenever it was open. Like most teenagers I had my struggles. During my senior year of high school I wanted to apply to a state college and major in music so I could eventually train for some Broadway production.

My parents helped me stay on the path God laid for me. They “strongly encouraged” me to go to a Christian college of my choice or they would not help me financially. So with their help I stayed on the right path. I went to a Christian college, majored in music and married a pastor.

My soul still thirsted for more of God and I wanted to do whatever I could to help others get to know Christ. Instead of using my gift of music on Broadway I was able to use it in church directing dramas and leading worship. I was still desperately seeking God in these endeavors. The productions and worship services I led were saturated with what I was learning, in my desperate search for more of God. In desperately seeking Him I learned of the importance of drinking from living water He provided.

For this post I want us to ask ourselves if we are truly desperate for more of God. Are we "panting" after God like the illustration the psalmist uses? How desperate are we to get to know God?

Have we let the routine of family life or church responsibilities crowd out the desire for more of God? I don't mean the desire isn't there...it has just been crowded out by doing life. Have we been so comsumed with "doing" we have forgotten the responsibility of "being?"

I am going to suggest for your quiet time to look up the words desperate, search, seek, and pant. After reading the descriptions look into your own spirit and be honest with yourself. Are the descriptions of these words descriptions you could use for your description of seeking God? To be honest. I fall very short in this area. My heart is there, but my actions have not been on the same level.

Spend some time with God and I look forward to sharing with you next time.

God bless you are you desperately seek Him.

No comments: