My husband and I had a great time celebrating 26 years of marriage this past week. This post is going to be reflecting on how to get to 26 years and tomorrow we'll be back on track with "Desparately Seeking God."
* remember to always keep God and the other person in the forefront of your mind.
* don't allow ministry to overtake all your thinking.
* love each other unconditionally.
* respect each other for who they are and how God has made them.
* respect what God desires to do in both of your lives.
* remember God created the man and woman to complete each other,not compete(you can each enhance each other's ministry when you remember this thought.)
* go out of your way to do things for the other person (believe me the longer you are together the more you take each other for granted.)
* suprise the other person with unexpected gifts, dinner at home without the kids, a day trip away with just the two of you.
The list could go on. The main point is to THINK OF THE OTHER PERSON ABOVE YOURSELF. Isn't that scriptural?
I am not here to say it is easy and we have been perfect...the truth is we had to learn this the hard way. God in His grace and mercy helped us understand this and has given us a love for each other that is amazing.
One thing that is true in any aspect of life is that you have to work at living life. It doesn't "just happen." Well, it could just happen, but what a mess. God allows circumstances in EVERY ASPECT of our lives to occur. We have the great opportunity to allow them to let us grow stronger in our relationships or destroy us. The choice is up to us.
We can make or break our lives. That is what is so awesome about God. He doesn't make us do anything, He gives us the freedom to do what we think is best. If we choose His way He will be right there helping us get through the tough times. He will always be there, even when we make the wrong decision, but He will have to wait to help us until we acknowledge our need for His help.
Our next post will get back to our previous subject of seeking God, but for now it would be great for those of you who are married to think of your relationship with your spouse. Is it where it should be? Are you loving and respecting each other? Are you enhancing each other's ministry and lives?
It would be great to hear some examples of where you have been and where God is taking you in your relationships...let us know.