Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Denying Self to See God More

One way to learn what it means to desperately seek God is to go away for a weekend or two to three day fast. Take plenty of water with you, but no food. Take your Bible and journal, but no other book. The purpose of getting away is to get to know God more intimately. This is done by reading the Word and praying.

One year I took our youth leaders on a fasting retreat. We spent the whole time praying and reading scripture. I took along a Passion DVD we listened to that had scriptural reading and worship. It was an awesome experience. We ended the retreat sharing communion. Those teens came away different people.

One way I helped get our teens ready for a weekend fast was helping them understand that God wants to see us give up something we enjoy or like, for Him. I enjoyed drinking Mt. Dew. I think because I worked with teens and needed the extra boost. ha I was seeking God for a specific thing at the time and I fasted Mt. Dew. I went 1 month without drinking a Mt. Dew. They learned the concept of fasting and it prepared them for the week end fast.

There is something about denying our natural desires, and things that mean a lot to us, that brings us closer to our Lord and Savior. Our body is telling us it is hungry, but we say, “No, I am hungry for God and will eat the spiritual food He has for me.” That spiritual food is His Word and His presence; talking to Him, getting to know Him. If you have never fasted I highly recommend doing it soon. It will benefit you greatly.

Several posts have talked about getting to know God and being thirsty for Him. I would like for us to take time right now to look at our lives.

Are we too busy?

Are there things in our lives we need to change in order to be able to spend time desperately seeking?

Ask God to meet with you right where you are? Ask Him to give you a drink of His living water. Write down what God is speaking to you about and what you need to change over the next week, in order to meet with Him.

I would love to hear how God is moving in your life. Feel free to take time and share.

1 comment:

LAURIE said...

Cheryl, this reminds me of how we often make sure we plan a weeks vacation just to get away and spend time with family or plan a anniversary get away to spend some extra love time with our sweetheart but how many times do we plan a getaway or even a week of uninterrupted time with our Lord, the One who died for us?

Thanks for encouraging us today. -Blessings, Laurie