Monday, December 1, 2008

Just Being Thankful


I am so thankful for my heritage and being surrounded by people who speak into my life and my family's life. After doing some research on the human trafficking my heart aches for those women and girls who are not as fortunate. My husband and I couldn't believe that human trafficking is in existence today. It seems unreal, yet the statistics are there. If you haven't read the stats check the previous posts, you will be astonished.

I know Paul was writing to Believers in Phil. 1:3; but what if we read it and think of those less fortunate...those who are trapped in a lifestyle needing help to break free? My prayer is that I thank God for what I have, but keep an open heart for those less fortunate...keep a prayerful, glad heart, knowing I can make a difference in someone's life...someone who may be crying out in desperation, looking for the least little bit of hope that there is truly someone who cares.

Phil. 1:3, "Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart." The Message (bold emphasis mine)

Some of us may not be in a position to physically help someone like this, but can help by supporting causes that do make a difference. If you have a heart for this then there are two ministries you can help, just check previous posts.

In addition to this ask yourself what you can do to help women and children in your local area. It may not be as drastic as human trafficking, but there are women and children trapped in abuse, trapped in addictions, and trapped in dysfunctional homes. You can be a light to their world of darkness. In your prayer time ask God to reveal to you ways in which you can help those in desperate situations.

Often times we purchase gift cards, help the Angel Tree in our area, and various other things; but what about "getting our hands dirty?" Volunteer to help in a soup kitchen. Find out what ministries are available and offer our service once a month. It will change our life dramatically.

Ask God to bring women and children to mind who are being abused and say, "Thank you God for showing me a way in which I can help set them free." It is very easy to surround ourselves with the comforts of our home and church, but let's ask God to stir our spirits. Lift these women and children up in prayer. We may not know them personally, but God can give us burden to pray for their freedom.

We are here for a greater cause. Are we living up to that cause? There is so much we can do with God's power behind us. Sometimes it is hard to see all the potential God has for each of us, because we are insecure in our relationship with Him. That is not bad...but God has so much more. He loves you and wants to use you to do amazing things for Him. Open your heart and ask God to fill it to overflowing with His love and compassion.

I use to tell those in our youth ministry to let "your lives ooze Jesus." In other words be so filled with Jesus that Jesus is all others see when they see you. Jeanne Mayo says be "Jesus with skin on." Think about that this month and begin asking God how you can be filled with more of Jesus in 2009. What can you do to help other women and children be free...be able to accept Jesus as their savior?

So...Yes, I am thankful for my heritage. Because of this heritage I understand that God has great things in store for each of us. We can...Live like:

- we love Him with all our heart
- we care about a kingdom cause
- Jesus is returning tomorrow

In other words let Jesus "ooze" out of you.

No comments: